Published on March 13 (Updated March 17)
Dear Pivot Charter School Friends and Family:
This is a Community Health Alert regarding information about the coronavirus (COVID-19) and the proactive steps Pivot is taking to ensure the safety of all students and adults.
Based on consultation with the San Diego County Office of Education and the San Diego County Health and Human Services, Pivot Charter School San Diego resource centers are closed as of Monday, March 16th. This is a rapidly evolving situation, and we will be in touch with parents and students directly regarding when the resource centers will reopen. This decision was made to curb the potential transmission of the coronavirus (COVID-19) throughout the community.
Pivot Charter School is prepared and uniquely qualified to be able to handle these types of emergencies as all of our students can continue making progress in their academics through their online courses which are available 24 hours a day. All of our teachers will be working and overseeing your students’ academics each school day from their homes. They will be expecting students to complete their required number of assignments. Teachers will be communicating with students and parents as frequently as usual, and they will be expecting responses as usual.
- Parent & student communication with your EC is essential, not optional.
- Students must login and complete schoolwork every school day.
- If students are in these Block 5 classes, we will be holding the following virtual workshops to support students. We expect students will attend these workshops as scheduled:
- English 9 B: Tuesday, Thursdays & Fridays @ 9:30 am – meet.google.com/ehm-pcyq-tzx
- English 10 B: Mondays & Wednesdays @ 9:30 am – meet.google.com/ehm-pcyq-tzx
- US History B: Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 10:45 am – https://meet.google.com/dmw-owwe-erv
- US Government: Mondays @ 12:30 pm – https://meet.google.com/bau-fnbk-czv
- 11th Grade SBAC Prep/Algebra 2: Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 9:30-10:30 am https://meet.google.com/ivr-ecaf-aap
- For general homework help, reach out to your EC and be ready to share your assignment via Google Docs.
Our San Diego Zoo trip on March 20th has been canceled until further notice.
We encourage you to stay informed of the situation by regularly checking updates from San Diego County Public Health Services and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). You may also check our website for updated information about COVID-19 https://www.pivotsandiego.com/about-the-2019-novel-coronavirus/
We understand this action may pose added hardship for some of our families. This decision was made in coordination with all district superintendents in San Diego County. We collectively feel this is the best plan of action to protect our students, families, and community members.
While your student(s) remains home, we encourage you to continue practicing good hygiene, which includes:
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick.
- Covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Getting vaccinated for the flu if you have not already.
If you feel for any reason your child may have or has been exposed to the novel coronavirus, please contact your doctor immediately. Virus symptoms can range from mild to severe and could include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Symptoms may appear in as few as two days or as long as 14 days after exposure.
If there is anything Pivot or I can do to assist your student in these unprecedented times, please do not hesitate to contact your teacher, site administrator or me. Take care of yourselves and your families.
Pivot Charter Schools